Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Fought The Wind & The Cold...And I WON!

Yesterday was a successful day of working out. I did the P90X Plyo workout during lunch. Well, I did a little over half of it....that workout is over an hour long. Add in enough time to change in and out of workout clothes and grab a lunch and well, my lunch break just isn't that long. BUT, I also managed a 3.1 mile run after work as well.

First, let me say that I dreaded my run all day long. It was cold out. As in frigid. And I just don't fair well in the cold. I know there are peeps out there that can run in sub 0's all the time. I am NOT one of those people. Hell, I was nervous about running in the 50's just last year. I have since discovered that 50's = my fave temps to run in. But yeah, I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times that I've ran in 40 degrees or below. It just doesn't happen for me. But I also hate (as in LOATHE!!!) the treadmill. So all day yesterday, I battled it out in my head - run outside in 29 degrees and 10mph wind, or tough it out on the stupid treadmill??

I finally decided to give it a shot outside just to see how it would go. The first mile was tough. The wind was in my face and my pace was sloooooow. The second mile, the one with the most hills, was also a struggle due to the hills...but I made it through all the hills without walking. I finally got to the last mile and by then I was cruisin. My last mile was my fastest, which is rare for me. And my overall pace was my fastest since I started running again a few weeks ago. So I would say the run was a success. I was feelin pretty good at the end - finally warmed up and ready for a few more miles. But I'm really trying to stick to my schedule and not push myself any further. The last thing I want to do this year is reinjure this darn stress fracture for a THIRD time!

Oh, and I have learned that recovery socks are my new best friend! (Thank you, Running Lawyer!!!) :)

Tuesday, February 2, 2010: P90X Plyometrics, 3.1 mile run

10 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Way to tough it out, I hate the cold and hate training in it.

I agree compression is your best friend!!!

teacherwoman said...

I need to get me some recovery socks! :)

Nice job on the two-fer!

Indi said...

Awesome job toughing it out. I need to work on hill training to get ready for the half. and yes....I love Recovery Socks!

Dancing Sweet Pea said...

Great job Ashley! That cold weather would have been enough to keep me inside!

Mark said...

and it wasn't so bad....right??? Had to have been more refreshing than running in that warm cave...

Anonymous said...

The 50's-60's is my favorite running weather too! Too bad in NJ all we have is freezing and scorching!

Jess said...

Wow Ashley! Congrats on being so dedicated!! I also tried the whole p90x program, it's really tough. I did it for the whole three months, but didn't stick to the diet (it's not very in-depth).

But anyhoo, thanks for stopping by my blog :) I do miss my regular LOLs on your bung blog, but I can barely keep up with one blog, and you have three!! So it's understandable.

Keep up the awesome work!

harburgm said...

Ashley,

I love this blog! Are you a Nation's Facebook fan? Can I post it on the Nation's Facebook page? The page is here:
http://www.facebook.com/TheNationsTriathlon?ref=ts

Let me know and I will feature it. Thanks and good luck with training!

Carolina John said...

yea my half marathon on saturday is supposed to be 52 and cloudy. i was very excited when i saw that, i hate running in the extreme cold or hot as well.

Ashley said...

harburgm - glad you like it! I believe I'm a fan of Nations Tri on FB, but I'll have to double check on that when I get home (FB is blocked at work). Feel free to post a link - I'm very flattered! :)