Okay, so I'm FINALLY getting around to posting this. Yeah, I procrastinate.....but better late than never. ;) Okay, I'm going to list the goals first and then offer some additional info below.
1) STAY INJURY-FREE!!!
2) Complete (at least) 1 Race Every Month
3) Race A New (LONGER) Distance (either a full marathon or a half ironman)
4) Beat My Previous Half Marathon Time
5) Run A Sub 30:00 5K
1) STAY INJURY-FREE!!! - This goal is FIRST and foremost! Without this one, it will be extremely difficult to achieve the other goals on my list for the year! I'm really trying to be smart about my training this year. Last year, I ended up with 2 stress fractures....which, looking back, is no surprise when you consider that I went from just starting to run to training for a half marathon in only 5 weeks. That wasn't too bright. So I'm easing into things more, making sure to stretch, ice bath, etc. Hopefully I can keep the injuries at bay this year!
2) Complete (at least) 1 Race Every Month - I think this will be a fun one. Last year was my first year to race and I did the bulk of them in the spring and fall (the nice months) and absolutely NONE in the winter. I think doing a race every month will keep me focused and on track with training and will also allow me to "test drive" each month of the year and find out what months I enjoy racing in the best. So far, I've already completed a race for January (Groundhog 5k) and February (Love 2 Run 4 Mile).
3) Race A New (LONGER) Distance (either a full marathon or a half ironman) - Well, I already let the cat out of the bag on this one when I mentioned a little something about registering for the Chicago Marathon. ;) It was a real toss-up, though. I actually really wanted to do the RedMan Half Ironman this year. ACTUALLY, I wanted to do it LAST year until I ended up injured... But when I really thought it through, I realized that I would first need a new (better) bike, and I don't have the money to drop on that right now. I would need to invest well over $1000 for this and I just don't have that kind of money. Plus, I think I would like to get a full marathon under my belt before I go trying out any iron distances. So, a marathon it is....Lord help me make it through this one!
4) Beat My Previous Half Marathon Time - In all honesty, this really shouldn't be all that hard to do considering how slooooooow my HM was last year. Last year's HM was not only my first half, but my first RACE. I ran it with only 5 weeks of training. I didn't even own a Garmin at the time and had no way of gaging my pace. I was just sooooo clueless at the time (even more clueless than I still am now, lol). I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment that I can beat my slow-as-all-get-out time last year. If not, then something is definitely wrong with me. ;)
5) Run A Sub 30:00 5K - Yeah, I realize this prob seems like a ridiculously slow 5K time for most people....but I would LOVE to be able to run a 5K in under 30 min! And with the way my pace has been improving lately, I'm really hoping this will happen before the year is over. And if not...well, there's always next year. ;)
Well, there you have it, folks - The Running Worm's 2010 Goals! Wish me luck!!! :)