Thursday, September 10, 2009

This Is It!!!


This will be my last post before I leave tomorrow. You may be wondering why I haven't posted much in the past week. Well, it's because I've pretty much had nothing to post about. No workouts, no training, nothing. That's right...my fear came true and I was hit with a BRUTAL case of bronchitis last week. I spent all of Labor Day weekend in bed. :( I'm feeling much better than I was, but I still have a pretty nasty cough that has me pretty nervous about the race....it's just 3 days away and I haven't been able to swim, bike, or run in 2 weeks!!!!!! I know that my goal time of 3.5 hours is out the window. At this point in time, I'll just be happy to finish with both of my lungs still in tact. But I WILL finish! It may not be pretty and I may be cursing my lungs the entire way....but I will cross that finish line!
I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone for all the support along the way. This has been a long road for me. I signed up for my first TNT event over 2 years ago, yet this will be my first one to actually participate in. I had to drop out of the first race because I ended up pregnant with Harper that year. I had to drop out of another race earlier this year due to a stress fracture. So....third time's a charm, right? At this time tomorrow, I'll be on a plane to DC!!! Oh, and I'd be lying if I told you that I wasn't nervous about flying to DC on 9/11. So any encouraging words on that topic would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I know that 9/11 is probably the SAFEST day to fly now, with added/extra security and all. But my nerves are definitely all over the place.
Speaking of nerves, I'm also worried that I'll struggle with this cough along the way. I'm scared that the water in the Potomac River (yes, that's where we swim!!!!) is going to be freezing, and thus turn my bronchitis into pneumonia. I'm concerned that my lack of training during the 3 weeks prior to the race is going to hurt my physical ability to do well. I'm worried I'll forget something important to pack, even though I have a very detailed list. I'm concerned that my carry on will be too big, yet we were told to put ALL of our race gear in our carry on JUST IN CASE - this includes wetsuit, bike helmet, running shoes, ear plugs, swim cap, tri suit, fuel belt, towels, water bottles, power bars, Gu, sunglasses, sunscreen, body glide, visor, bike pedals (bike was shipped sans pedals on Monday), saddle bag, goggles, ear plugs, spare tube, tools to change flat, etc..... That's a LOT of stuff to cram into a small carry on bag! I'm also worried I'll so something stupid and get DQed. I know, I really need to relax....but I probably won't relax until the minute I step out of the Potomac River and mount my bike...and even then, I'll still be a little high strung until I actually finish the race. But hey, what's a race without a little addrenaline and nerves?? ;)
Anyway, today is my last day of work. My mom is driving up this afternoon and staying the night since we have to be at the airport before dawn tomorrow. Wish me luck, friends - I'll need it!!!!!!!!! And once again, thanks for your continued support! I *heart* you all!

13 comments:

Being Robinson said...

saddle bags. SADDLE BAGS. i had to, you know i did.

it's normal to be nervous, but it's all going to be amazing. THIRD time IS the charm. and you are right, tomorrow is like the safest day to fly EVER. and your mom will be with you, and you get to see DC! it's all going to be such a great experience. and i'm fully expecting text updates.

hugs and good luck, i think you're gonna do great.

Carolina John said...

relax. everything's going to turn out fine.

See if you can get a warm up run in the day before the tri. milage and pace don't matter, just get yourself breathing hard to see what the lungs are going to do. Then you'll be fine.

Good luck, I can't wait to hear the race report!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Best of luck pretty girl!! So many things to stress about...I bet crossing the FINISH will feel amazing after all of the anxiety you have now. Hang in there. DC is BEAUTIFUL!

Hugs and luck...

Dancing Sweet Pea said...

You are going to do amazing Ash! I bet you'll surprise yourself! I hope your cough gets even a little better before Saturday! I'll be thinking of you that day!
Deep breath.......xoxoxox

IzzyBubbles said...

Wow...you sound just like me before my first race, freaked out about everything! Okay, take a deep breath - you're well prepared packing-wise, you're going to be fine physically, you're not going to get pneumonia from cold water....you're going to do great!! Can't wait to get the text update on how you did, I'm going to be anxiously waiting for that on Sunday!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Good luck and have fun, remember this is the reward for all your hard work.

RunToTheFinish said...

oh gooooood luck!!!!! have an amazing trip and I really do hope we can meet up..I'll be there for at least 2 more monday runs.

i hope all feels well for you

o2bhiking said...

Ashley - once you get there and get in the water, the butterflies will vanish and your instincts and training will kick in, and you will kick @$$! Go Ashley! Go Team in Training! Have a blast. What tales you will have for your daughters and husband. Art

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good luck and i can't wait to hear about it!!

Lindsay said...

good luck and have fun! make all your training do the work for you! :)

X-Country2 said...

You're going to do GREAT! Good luck!!

Indika said...

Ashley,
Good Luck for tomorrow!! I'm sure you will do great:-)

Aron said...

good luck girlie!!! you are going to do AWESOME!!