Monday, August 17, 2009

6 Mile Run - Woot!

Saturday morning I logged my longest post-stress fracture run! I ended up running it solo because my team was meeting at a park that's a good 40 minutes from my house. I just couldn't justify driving 40 minutes there and back just to run for a little over an hour. Plus, I needed to get Rylie to a bday party in a town 20 minutes away by 10am, so I really needed to utilize my time wisely that morning. So instead, I hit up a trail near my house. (FWR, did you hit up the River Front Trail when you stayed at Argosy? That's the trail I ran on Saturday.) This allowed me to sleep in until 6:30am (rather than get up at 4:15 if I had gone to practice with the team). I've never ran there before, but I will definitely be hitting it up again. It's right by my house and actually a really nice little area. Several times during the run I wished I had my camera with me.

There were several high and low points of the run on Saturday:


**It was my longest post-injury run (6 miles) and it felt GREAT! Took an ice bath when I got home and went about my day like normal. Wasn't even sore the following day.
**PERFECT running weather - low 70's with a cool breeze and mostly overcast, so no blazing sun.
**The trail is kind of elevated and out in the middle of an open area overlooking the highway and some large fields - nice view.
**The trail was pretty flat.
**Passed a pack of wild turkey while I was running.
**Passed several other runners that were all friendly and waved.
**Passed several mountain bikers. One in particular and I had crossed paths several times and at the end he totally flashed me a thumbs up - highlight of the morning! ;)


**I had a couple glasses of wine the night before and was therefore not properly hydrated. I took water with me, but left it in my car. About 2 miles in on my first out-and-back, I was totally regretting that decision. I had another 2 miles to go to get back to my car and I definitely had to stop to stretch out the tight & dehydrated muscles. I also had a little anxiety about not having water on my. I really think I need to get a hydration belt. I had my fuel belt with some Gu...but no water. :\
**I ran RIDICULOUSLY slow. Something about trails and the gravely pebbles makes me feel like I'm running in quick sand. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to it...but trails are just not my thing. Just to illustrate it for you, my 4 mile TM run on Thurs was an avg pace of 10:20 and my 6 mile trail run on Sat was 12:33 - WTF?? And the funny this is....even tho my pace didn't really feel like it sucked. It actually felt pretty good at the time. So I'm not stressing over it. First "long" run in 4 months, so I'm okay with it. ;)

Anyway, the rest of the weekend was spent fundraising. After doing it for about 2 years, I've finally learned the key - take your adorable children with you! ;) Rylie is a money-making machine! And, she LOVES doing it! We did a "boot block" Friday night at the Wal-Mart near our house. (In case you don't know, this is just when you stand at a busy intersection with signs and buckets and people donate cash.) Anyway, I've never made so much money so quickly! And she had a blast! She kept begging to do it again on Saturday, but the weather wasn't so favorable. By the time we got out there, it started raining within 10 minutes, so we had to pack it up and go home. Yesterday we sold beads at the Wizards game and then did another boot block at Wal-Mart after that. Total for the entire weekend: $350!! Only about $1000 to go! And only 2 more weeks to do, if you're feeling generous and would like to donate to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please check out My Fundraising Page.

I hope everyone has a great week ahead! It's supposed to rain/storm for the next 4 days here, which kind of puts a damper on my training. I can't swim if there's lightening...nor can I bike. And the stationery bike just isn't the same...but it looks like I've got a stationery bike/treadmill workout in my future. *Sigh* Oh well, better than nothing I suppose.

Saturday, August 15, 2009: 6 mile run


Racn4acure said...

Sounds like a great run overall. Your time will work out, so don;t stress. Way to go on the fund-raising, you are getting there.

Jesse said...

The riverfront trail? Is that the one just off of MO-9 highway near Parkville/Riverside? I frequently run at English Landing, and have seen the signs for the Riverfront Trail, but have never bothered to check it out.

Graceful Lady said...

Here's to healing and moving forward. Congratulations! Look at how far you've come and remember to accentuate the positive...and great news about fund raising! Keep up the good work.

Fair Weather Runner said...

i think 6 miles, with no soreness, and wine the night before that you pace was great. As long as you felt good, that is all that matters. I am suddenly kinda heartbroken you can't do the wichita half... i mean really, like i want to cry.