Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Pretty Much Kick @$$!

:)

Okay, now...hold your applause for just a moment...because I have to explain to you that while I did indeed run 6.3 miles yesterday (a personal best!!), it was not all consecutive. So let me start at the beginning.

My tri schedule only had me running 2 miles yesterday. That's right, a measley 2 miles. My girl friends that are training for the St Louis half marathon were scheduled to run 4 miles yesterday. So, I really wanted to shoot for 4 miles to see if I could do it. Mind you I've only ran 4 miles one other time in my life and I believe I was about 10 years old - true story! But I've really been inspired by everyone on justfinish.com and really felt the need to push myself. So my goal for yesterday was to run 4 miles.

Well, I normally do yoga during my lunch break on Wednesdays, but we didn't have class yesterday, so I decided to go ahead and get my run over with during my lunch break. Well, it was 24 degrees out with a wind chill of 14. I was not prepared for this - not enough warm clothing. I didn't let this stop me. I went down to the fitness center and hopped on a treadmill. Well, let me explain something about the fitness center here at work. It is extremely tiny and not very well designed. Basically, the heat vents are right in front of the cardio equipment, so you get a nice blast of hot air in your face as you run. I was able to run 2 miles before I finally said "$crew this!" I was drenched in sweat, which is an uncomfortable feeling considering I was at work. So I made a compromise with myself - I would let myself off the hook and out of this sauna of a training room as long as I promised to go do 2 more miles at 24 Hour Fitness after work.

I dropped Rylie off at gymnastics at 6:30 last night and headed to the gym with a 2 mile run in mind as my goal. I started running....and something just came over me and I couldn't stop! As I mentioned before, I've only ran 4 miles one other time in my life. But I had this overwhelming feeling to finish a full 4 miles all at once....and I DID! I finished off with a .3 mile cool down of walking and left the gym feeling better about myself than I have in a really long time. 6.3 miles yesterday, folks! Like I said before, I pretty much kick @$$! :)

Wednesday, March 11, 2009: ran 6.3 miles

4 comments:

Sarah :) said...

You ROCK!!! I love it when your body takes over and goes beyond what your brain thought it could! Great feeling. :)

(P.S. I think you're amazing for running AT ALL. Not one of my favorite activities.)

Dancing Sweet Pea said...

That's awesome!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!!!

IzzyBubbles said...

NICE. That's your training kicking in!! You pretty much know you're a runner when you say something like "only a measly two miles." LOL!!

AMC said...

WOOHOO!!! :)