Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hy-Vee Triathlon

I went to my official kickoff meeting last night. There were a TON of people there. We currently have a team for the San Diego Marathon, the Seattle Marathon, the Tahoe Century Ride, the Yosemite Hike, and the Hy-Vee Tri. All the other groups were pretty large in size....but our tri team consists of only 6 members!!! Wow - I guess most people find it intimidating to do all three sports in one event.

I'll tell you what IS intimidating - the fact that I am the only person on my team that has never done an endurance event before! AND the fact that I am only 1 of 2 females, and the other - though she is 47 - has completed a 1/2 Ironman!!! I have to say, I am definitely nervous! I know I will be at the back of the pack at each practice. I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up! In fact, our frist practice is on Saturday and the 2 people that I thought might be relatively close to my level won't even be there. The other 3 that will be there are all guys - 2 of them are pretty young (1 being my mentor and having completed 3 TNT events already...oh, and he's only like 25 - so in great shape), and the other guy just ran an 1/2 marathon a couple weeks ago. So yeah, I'm pretty freaked out about practice - I'm afraid they'll all be so far ahead of me that I'll get lost! Seriously! The area that we are practicing at is an area of the city that I am not familiar with at all! And if the training route is not marked out, I will seriously be left behind and probably lost. I'm pretty nervous!

With all that aside, I WILL still be there. Nothing is going to stop me. I'm nervous.....but determined.

No comments: