Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good Intentions Don't Always = Good Workouts *Sigh*

Okay, so with my HM out of the way, I really need to get back into focus with my tri. That being said, I've made it a personal goal to take it easy on running (my knees and legs in general really need a break) and to really push the swimming. My swimming has really suffered lately (I've only swam twice in the last 6 weeks!!!), so I have made it a goal to hit the pool a minimum of twice a week from here on out.

First, let me say something about swimming: I suck at it. It is by far my weakest of the 3 tri events...not that I'm strong in any of them, but swimming is definitely the one I struggle with the most. I mean, any endurance event can take a lot out of you, but especially one where your face is in water the entire time and you can't even breathe any time that you want to. And aside from all of this, swimming is just a lot less convenient than running or cycling for me. I can run or cycle in my neighborhood, whereas with swimming, I have to drive to the pool and I have to go during their hours. Most of the time with swimming, just getting to the pool is half the battle. With that said, let me tell you about last night:

First of all, with working full-time, having 2 young children (1 of whom is involved in a lot of activities), and with going to PT several times a week, most days only allow for a small window of time for me to squeeze in my workouts. Last night was no exception. Rylie had dance from 6:30 - 7:30. Her dance studio is just a couple miles from the community center that I swim at. Mind you, I have a membership to 24 Hour Fitness...but the gym near me does *not* have a pool and the closest 24HF with a pool is quite a drive from me. If my 24HF had a pool, it would make things a lot more convenient for me.... ANYWAY, I dropped Rylie off at her dance studio and headed over to the pool. I walked in feeling good because it was only Tuesday and I was well on track for meeting my 2 times at the pool for the week. Well, I signed in, headed to the locker room, got undressed.......and then.....I realized I forgot to bring a towel. And a ridiculous amount of rage came over me and I fought back tears as I stormed out. UGH, that's just like me to f things up like that! I was just pissed at myself cuz I basically blew any chance of swimming for the day.

So I drove home and by the time I got there, I of course did not have time to grab a towel and drive back and swim before I had to get Ry from dance. Nor did I have much time left to do much of anything else either. I went ahead and grabbed my bike from the garage and took it for a super quick 5 mile bike ride.....but yeah, I totally blew swimming for the day AND only got in a wimpy 5 miles on the bike. So now I HAVE to go to the pool both tonight and tomorrow night cuz we're leaving to go out of town on Friday. I'm just annoyed and hope I can force myself to get to the pool the next 2 nights....since last night was a giant fail and a huge waste of my time. :\ So annoying.....

Tuesday, April 28, 2009: muscle conditioning, 5 mi bike ride

6 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I never thought about the hassle of swimming vs. biking and running. That is SUCH A BUMMER!! I have had a day when I really wanted to run and realized Oh my shoes are at home...GRRR!! As a busy Mom I can 100% relate to this post..hang in there baby!!

Carolina John said...

i have an incredibly tough time getting in a swim. ever. it sucks. the only time my community pool is open to the public is 9 am to 11 am mon - fri. and there's only 1 indoor public pool in the county rec system.

i think i'm going to have to end up joining a gym with a pool, but i hate to pay for 2 gym memberships.

Oz Runner said...

wow, you sound super busy...i don't know how you can fit time in to train for a tri....swimming would the the toughest/most inconvenient of the events...sorry you couldn't get a swim in last night...if it were me, i would have either went without a towel or ran to a nearby store and bought one....

thanks for the tips about S-caps and E-tabs for electrolyte replacement, I will definitely be looking into them..

Dancing Sweet Pea said...

That really sucks Ashley! I hope you make it to the pool both tonight and tomorrow night -- think of how great you'll feel come Friday knowing that you accomplished your goal for the week! You can do it!

IzzyBubbles said...

Ugh! This is why I could never do a tri, I couldn't stay on top of training for three things. You're amazing for trying it!! I hope you get back to the pool sometime this week, maybe you need to sign Ry up for some "swim lessons" so you have an excuse to go to the pool with her in the evenings!

teacherwoman said...

Oh hunny, we all have days like this. or weeks, for that matter. You are a woman of two young busy girls, plus a wife, blah blah blah. This happens! Just pick yourself up and start fresh the next day, don't dwell on what didn't happen becuase you can't turn back the time! Hey, you got in a short bike... most people would just give up after a swim gone bad, or not happening.