Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yesterday = Great Run!!!

Funny, I wasn't even in the mood to run yesterday. I was exhausted after work and really just wanted to take a nap. I'm not sure what go into me, but I ended up having one of the best runs ever. Maybe it was the 3 monster cookies I ate right before the run that fueled me, lol. Maybe it was the luck of some really great songs popping up during the shuffle on my MP3 player. Maybe it was the fact that even tho it was gray and dreary out, there was -for once- no wind. Maybe it was the fact that there were several other runners and walkers out in the neighborhood that smiled and waved and brightened my day. Regardless of what it was, it was simply a great run. Period.

I ran in my neighborhood, which as I've mentioned before, is extremely hilly. I really need to take some pics this weekend (*note to self*). I was kind of bored with my route I've been using lately, so I switched it up a bit. I was supposed to run 4 miles, but I knew I came up short. I was hoping it was at least 3.6 miles....but after I drove it, it ended up being only 3.3. :/ This is why I need a garmin!! Oh well, I'm still happy with the fact that I ran the entire thing with the exception of one GIANT hill. And actually, I ran said giant hill the FIRST time through...and just walked it on the second loop. I had a lot of energy and was just in a good mood yesterday, which made for a great run. So even though it was shorter than planned, I'm still happy with it. BUT....I have the normal aches and pains today (and even most of last night): right knee and left calf. I stretched a ton, but they're still bothering me. Hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow since tomorrow is the big 10 miler!!! My first run in the double digits - wish me luck!! :)

Tonight I'm going to a stride workshop, which I'm super excited about. For those of you new to my blog, I have never been a runner until recently. I never ran track. I never ran cross country. I have never even ran a 5K or any sort of race at all...EVER. So basically, I've never been coached on my run. I'm really looking forward to the presentation and tips on how to improve my run/stride/posture, etc. I know it's going to be super beneficial and it couldn't come at a better time, with my first 10 mile run being tomorrow. My friend Kristen, who is running St Louis with me, is going with me tonight too. I'm really excited to learn more about ways to improve my run.

Since I'm going to the workshop tonight, I won't be swimming - not enough time. But I'll still go to muscle conditioning. Here's yesterday's workout 411:

Wednesday, April 1, 2009: yoga, 3.3 mile run

5 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the run Ashley! I look forward to hearing more about your stride workshop!

Being Robinson said...

YAY for happy runs, sometimes they come out of no where! I heart those days. Oooo that workshop will be awesome. Are you going to Britney tonight ;) There is a pilgramage from here up there today for the concert... hilarious.

You'll do fabulous on your 10, it's a great feeling to hit double digits. I am so impressed you work, train and are a mother... I only do two of those (work and train) and feel overwhelmed a LOT.

Marcy said...

Ooohh good luck tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do great ;D

Unknown said...

Great job! Those hills will make you a stronger runner. Good luck with the 10-miler.

Aron said...

Sometimes those days we really dont feel like running end up being the BEST runs! glad you had a great one :) good luck on the 10 miler!!! double digits here you come!